Friday, September 03, 2010

It's begun

It's been a while since I posted anything.  Spent the past few months moving a few times, first from Humboldt up to Josephine County, Oregon, for a few months living off-the-grid in a little cabin in the woods on the Illinois River; then slowly making our way all the way down through California to San Diego.  Then came searching for a place to live, moving in and getting settled--setting up kindergarten and baby sitters and a writing space and so forth.

Well, I just finished my first week in San Diego State's MFA in Creative Writing.  Wednesday was the orientation where I met a number of my first-year colleagues, as well as second and third year students and some faculty.  Looks like a good group of people I'll be sharing words with for the next few years.

For Fall semester, I'm taking 3 courses: a fiction workshop with Prof Hal Jaffe, a prose poetry/flash fiction workshop with Prof Marilyn Chin, and a lit class on contemporary American fiction with Prof Stephen-Paul Martin.  I read books by all three this past year (Martin's The Possibility of Music, Chin's The Revenge of the Mooncake Vixens, and Jaffe's Guerrilla Writer's Guide to Post-Millenial Culture) and though their styles are quite different from each other (or rather because their styles are so different), I feel I can learn much, so I'm looking forward to each class.

So, yeah.  After talking about this for, what, ten years?  and having gone through the whole application thing 4 or 5 years ago, it's finally happening.  I'm in a space where I can focus on my writing--and worries such as how to pay for it will just have to wait.  For now, the writing's the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment